By Cat, Mar 2010 (Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
Includes: 1. Greens Salad with Sprouted Lentils & Peas
One day I spotted a small container of sprouted lentils & peas at the grocery store, from a local small business. So I bought some and tossed a few on my salads over several days til they were used up. Very good addition! Now I do this as part of Breaking the Fast after a 5 or 7 day juice fast.
Greens Salad with Sprouted Lentils & Peas
This year (2012), I couldn’t find the freshly-sprouted lentils & peas at my grocer, so I sprouted my own. I only used one variety of lentils (brown) and one variety of pea (green). But next time I think I’ll add red lentils and garbanzos to the mix.
See Beans & Other Legumes: Soaking & Sprouting for instructions on sprouting legumes. lentils sprout in about 2 days; peas in 3 – 4. After sprouting, rinse well and store in fridge until ready to use; they will last only a few days.
To make the salad for 1:
- Tear up some lettuce or spring greens onto a salad plate.
- Add thinly-sliced carrots, radishes, onion, and cucumber (seeds removed).
- Add sliced ripe tomato or halved/quartered cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of sprouted lentil & pea mix over all
- Top with a lemon juice & olive oil dressing (1 Tbsp each, seasoned with Unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper).