By Cat, July 2015 (Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
If you like lemon cream pie, you’ll like this pudding, which is basically the pie without the crust: sweet-tart and creamy. I like to garnish this with fresh raspberries from my garden, or wild huckleberries.
This is my own original recipe that starts with lemon curd (any of my 3 versions). I recommend version II (adapted from Home Baking Made Easy, by Virginia Roberts (1)) for this recipe, and include it here.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- Lemon Curd II:
- 1 – 3 lemons (for zest of 1 lemon and 1 ¼cups juice)
- ¼ tsp stevia extract powder (or ½ cup Rapadura or white cane sugar)
- ⅓ cup tapioca starch, or 2 ⅔ Tbsp Organic/GMO-free cornstarch, or ⅓ cup unbleached white flour
- 2 Tbsp raw local honey, Grade-B maple syrup or Rapadura sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 – 4 Tbsp butter
- ⅛ teaspoon Unrefined sea salt
- 1 – 1 ½ cup whipped raw cream
- heavy-bottomed saucepan
- small and medium mixing bowls
- Lemon curd: Grate rind from 1 lemon; Squeeze 1¼ cup lemon juice and stir in stevia. Set aside.
- Mix cornstarch/tapioca starch/flour with cold water and honey or maple syrup in saucepan. Gradually add boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and clear.
- Beat egg yolks with whisk. Stir ½ cup of hot mixture into yolks and whisk to combine, then add back to the boiling mixture.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt, butter, lemon juice and zest until butter dissolves.
- Chill until set.
- Pudding: Whip cream and fold into lemon curd until well blended. Serve immediately.
- Home Baking Made Easy, by Virginia Roberts. See Beloved Cookbooks for more on this book.