By Cat, Nov 2014 (Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
Slow-Roasting provides lots of benefits, including:
- Provides amazing juiciness and flavor;
- Less damage to nutrients in the meat;
- Minimizes glycation and its adverse, potentially cancer-causing affects.
I’ve not yet tested this recipe, but it promises to be delicious.
Slow Sticky Chicken (Rotisserie-Style)
This recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com, and roasts at 2500F for about 4 hours, for a 4 pound chicken. This recipe does not brine the bird beforehand. If you choose to brine, you will not need the salt in the spice rub.
Total time (if not brining), 10 hours, minimum (that’s not a typo).
Ingredients & Equipment
- 4 pound whole chicken, preferably local and pasture-raised
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt (not required if you brine the entire bird)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 – 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- small bowl
- re-sealable bag or roasting pan with lid
- roasting pan
- bulb baster
- Brine chicken: you can brine the whole bird about 10 – 12 hours, or just immerse the breasts in the brine for 30 minutes – 1 hour. Remove from brine and rinse well.
- Mix seasonings in a small bowl; include salt if you did not brine the bird. If you brined just the breasts, sprinkle salt on the non-brined parts of the bird after rubbing the spice mix on the entire bird (next step).
- Pat chicken dry with a towel. Rib inside and out with spice mixture.
- Quarter the onion, peel the garlic, and place into the cavity.
- Place bird in a sealed bag or covered roasting pan, and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 – 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Transfer chicken to roasting pan; roast, uncovered, for 5 hours, basting every 30 minutes after the first hour. If you want a crispy skin, turn up heat to 350°F for the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- Remove from oven and transfer to carving board. Let rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
- allrecipes.com Slow Sticky Chicken recipe (allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/detail.aspx)