By Cat, June 2009 (Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
Quiche is a great way to serve a vegetarian main course, as in this recipe. The veggies in the dish are also a great accompaniment to bacon, ham or chicken added to the meat.
This particular recipe has a wonderful Greek flavor; adding sundried tomatoes, and/or chicken that has been marinated in a lemon and balsamic dressing and then grilled would also be delicious.
Spinach and Feta Quiche
This recipe is adapted from All Recipes Spinach Quiche (1), Cooks.com Spinach/Feta Quice (2), and my Spanakopita and Spinach Pie recipes. The feta melts into the custard and lightly flavors the filing. I just made this with fresh spinach from my first garden. Delicious!
- Add a few pieces of sundried tomatoes (in oil), about 1-2 slice per slice of quiche, on top of the spinach and feta, before pouring the egg mixture over.
- Add chicken marinated in a lemon-balsamic dressing, then grilled and mixed with a smaller amount of spinach.
Ingredients & Equipment
- 1 Crust recipe for 10″ quiche pan (or 9″ deep dish pie pan)
- enough fresh spinach to make 1 1/2 – 2 cups, wilted (or 10 oz frozen spinach)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 oz. Greek or Romanian Feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large fresh farm eggs (or 4 small)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cream (or 1/2 cup raw cream and 1cup raw milk for a lighter quiche)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese (optional)
- 2 cup measuring cup
- cast iron skillet
- large bowl
- cheese grater (optional)
- Place oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 350°F.
- Wash and chop spinach; wilt in skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil or butter. Transfer to measuring cup to measure and cool slightly. Wilt more spinach as necessary.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in same skillet; saute chopped onions and minced garlic in the skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 7 minutes. Add wilted spinach and feta. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to combine. Spoon into prepared crust.
- Whisk eggs in bowl. Add cream (and milk, if using); whisk well to combine. Pour over spinach mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with grated Romano (if using), and bake an additional 30 – 40 minutes, until set in center. NOTE: If using a deep dish pan, it may take a bit more time to cook.
- Transfer to a rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.