by Cat, Nov 2007
See also: Mayonnaise
This condiment is most often used as a sauce for fish and seafood, but it is also good with some veggies like braised broccoli.
Tartar Sauce or Remoulade
This recipe is adapted from Jeanie Rose on the Rebuild from Depression website. Capers can also be used instead of chopped pickle or gherkins. Tarragon also adds nice flavor for certain uses.
Remoulade is a related sauce that is often flavored with curry, and may also include horseradish, paprika, or anchovies. It is a common condiment at a Danish Smorgasbord.
- 1 recipe (1 1 /2 cups) Mayonnaise or Mayonnaise with Whey
- 1 tsp coarse-grained or Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/2 medium onion or several scallions, finely chopped
- 1 dill pickle or 2 – 3 gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 tsp of the pickle brine or lemon juice (optional)
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Pint jar with lid
Combine all ingredients in the pint jar. Stir well with a wire whisk or fork. If too thick, add a little juice from the pickle jar.