By Cat, June 2010 (photo, right, from Wimimedia Commons)
Tri-Tip is a cut from the hind quarter, from the bottom of the sirloin area, just above the belly area from which the flank steaks is cut. I find this cut to have some gristle and is fairly fatty. I would prefer to make this recipe with flank steak, but I have not yet tested this.
Capers are the bud of a shrub growing throughout the Mediterranean, that are then treated similarly to olives – either lactofermented in a salt brine, or pickled in vinegar. They can usually be found in glass jars in the olive section, as pictured, right.
Tri-Tip or Flank Steak with Caper-Anchovy Butter
This recipe is adapted from Fine Cooking (2). You can really use any steak cut, but the thicker the better. According to Fine Cooking, Tri-Tip is a fairly well-marbled cut that is excellent for grilling, but I have not been happy with some tri-tip cuts, and prefer to use flank steak.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed and chopped (or 1/2 tsp anchovy paste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Unrefined sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- capers, rinsed & finely chopped to make ½ tsp
- ¼ tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- two 6- to 8- oz tri-tip steaks (or flank steaks)
- small bowl
- knife with flat blade
- grill, cast iron skillet or grill pan
- Rinse & chop anchovy fillet, then mash to a paste with flat side of knife blade. Mince garlic and sprinkle over anchovy, followed by a pinch of salt. Mash again with side of knife blade.
- Chop parsley fine; rinse and chop capers fine. Grate zest of lemon.
- Warm butter until it just begins to melt, in small bowl. Add anchovy/garlic paste, parsley, capers, lemon zest and a few grinds of black pepper and mash with fork.
- If using a grill, brush steaks with the oil and grill to desired doneness (rare to medium-rare is best). Or heat oil in skillet and grill steak to desired doneness
- Serve each steak with a dollop of the caper-anchovy butter.
Assembly or Serving ideas
- Fine Cooking recommends serving this with Italian Green Beans with Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar (3) on the side.
- I serve with Green Beans and Broccolini, seared with Finely Minced Garlic
- Wikipedia on Tri-Tip (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip)
- Fine Cooking Tri-Tip recipe (finecooking.com/recipes/pan-seared-steak-caper-anchovy-butter.aspx)
- Fine Cooking Green Bean recipe (finecooking.com/recipes/italian-green-beans-tomatoes-balsamic.aspx)