by Cat, Sept 2007
The wheatless recipe here has some issues as I explain in the recipe. I love the flavor and would like to ‘fix’ it, and also to create a whole grain flour version.
Yam Cake with Pumpkin Pie Spice (Wheatless)
This recipe was given to me by my friend Jean H, who got it from a Norwegian friend who is striving for a more traditional diet, as am I. Jean gave me a taste, and it’s quite good. Not really sweet, but leaves a sweet taste in the mouth. Jean added soaked & dried nuts that were not in the original recipe.
One of the ingredients is a highly processed food: protein powder. Be aware that protein powders ALWAYS contain MSG, even though that is not listed on the label, because the chemical or fungal breakdown of proteins to peptides and amino acid produces MSG as a byproduct that is not removed. I would like to find an whole-food substitute, as I have a sensitivity to MSG. Also many protein powders are sweetened with HFCS or non-Organic agave nectar, both of which are GMO.
If you don’t have your own pumpkin pie spice blend, try this; it makes 1 tsp:
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger,
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves,
Optional ingredients: mace, allspice
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 1/4 cup soaked and dried chopped walnuts
- 1 medium yam/sweet potato (about 1 cup pulp)
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (see spice mix above, or use your own)
- dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 – 2 T honey or maple syrup
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup raisins or currants
- small & medium bowls
- loaf pan
- Soak chopped nuts overnight, then dry them in oven at lowest temp.
- Cook yam at 350°F for about 1 hour, or until soft. Scoop out pulp to make 1 cup.
- Butter loaf pan.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs, vanilla and honey with fork to combine. stir in yam and protein powder and then the flour mixture.
- Add raisins and nuts to taste.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until done.
- Spread frosting over top of cake. Cream Cheese frosting or Coconut Pecan Frosting would be good with this cake