Beloved Cookbooks, About
I have a few beloved cookbooks that I turn to over and over to perfect or inspire my recipes. While I do list them as sources of each recipe where appropriate, I decided to list them here as well, along with copyright and publisher information when available. Some of these books are out of print. I’ve divided them into two categories: Most Beloved Cookbooks, and Other Oft-Used Cookbooks.
Most Beloved Cookbooks
- A Passion for Vegetables, Recipes from European Kitchens, by Vera Gewanter; © 1980; published 1980 by The Viking Press, New York NY
- Fancy Pantry, by Helen Witty, copyright 1986 and published by Workman Publishing, New York
- Home Baking Made Easy, by Virginia Roberts, Director Occident Home Baking Institute. Copyright 1944 and originally published by Russell-Miller Milling Co., Minneapolis MN. This was my Mom’s baking book; but she always called it the “Occident Family Flour Baking Book,” so that is how I sometimes refer to it in my recipes. The cover and publishing information page have crumbled to dust. In the late 1990s I made copies of all the pages that had not crumbled, and rebound them. I tracked it down online, and found a copy (published by Vintage Cookbooks) listed for auction on zimbio.com. Used copies can be purchased from alibris.com.
- Nourishing Traditions, Revised Second Edition by Sally Fallon with Mary G. Enig Ph.D,. Copyright 1999, 2001 and published by New Trends Publishing, Incl., Washington D.C.
- Simca’s Cuisine by Simone Beck, in collaboration with Patricia Simon. Copyright 1976 and published by Random House, Inc.; reissues published by Vintage Books division of Random House, New York
- Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown. Copyright 1970 and published by Shambhala Publications, Inc., Boulder CO, and distributed by Random House, Inc., New York
- The Art of Fine Baking by Paula Peck. Copyright 1961 and published by Galahad Books, by arrangement with Simon and Schuster, Inc., New York
- The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas, Copyright 1972 and published by Random House, Inc., New York; reissues published by Vintage Books division of Random House, New York
- The Vegetarian Epicure Book 2 by Anna Thomas, a Borzoi Book. Copyright 1978 and published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., New York
- The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. Copyright 1996 and published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., New York
- Wonderful Wonderful Danish Cooking, by Ingaborg Dahl Jensen. Copyright 1965 and published by Simon and Schuster, Inc., New York
Other oft-used cookbooks:
- Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cook Book (in a 5-ring binder); either the copyright page has been lost, or it never had one, but according to Good Reads, it was Published January 1st 1976 by Meredith Publishing Company
- Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, Eighth Printing 1989, Copyright 1986, 1978, 1969 by General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis Minnesota. Published by Golden Press / New York, Western Publishing Company Inc., Racine, Wisconsin
- Larousse Treasure of Country Cooking, Copyright Librairie Larousse, 1968, 1960; English translation © Vineyard Books, Inc. 1960; Bonanza 1978 Edition
- Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle and Simone Beck, Copyright 1961 by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
- Pillsbury Dessert Cookbook, copyright 1970 by The Pillsbury Company; Dianne Hennesy King, Editor of Pillsbury Publications