by Cat, Aug 2007 (Photo, right, from Wikipedia – link no longer available)
Ever wondered how to dress up leftover brisket (or other roast beef)? This wonderful salad is just the answer. Beef and horseradish have long been comfortable companions; the addition of beets adds color and complexity.
The original calls for prepared horseradish, which basically is horseradish in a vinegar brine. However, it may also contain preservatives and other undesirable additives including HFCS, so I recommend making your own (recipe included after the salad recipe).
Beet & Potato Salad with Creamy Horseradish Dressing
This salad recipe is adapted from Fine Cooking (1). The original serves 4 as a whole meal (to accompany brisket), but I’ve modified it to serve 2 as a meal, or 4 as a side dish.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 2 beets, about 2 – 2.5″ in diameter
- 4 red steamer potatoes
- Unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream*
- 2 tsp drained, homemade prepared or lacto-fermented horseradish, or to taste*
- 1 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar or to taste*
- 1/2 small tart apple
- 1 Tbsp minced white onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 saucepans
- small and medium bowls
* or 1 Tbsp prepared sour-cream horseradish mixed with 4 Tbsp sour cream, plus 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Place unpeeled beets in saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, 30 – 45 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water, then slip off the peels. Slice beets 1/4” thick.
- In same way, cook potatoes in salted water until tender, 20 – 25 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; then peel and slice 1/4 “ thick.
- Meanwhile, make prepared horseradish (see recipe below), unless you have some on hand.
- Peel, core, and mince apple. Mince onion. Core and slice fennel very thinly with a mandoline or slicer
- In small bowl, whisk sour cream, horseradish and vinegar. Mix in the apple and onion. Season to taste with salt, pepper & vinegar.
- In medium bowl, toss fennel and parsley with 1 Tbsp of the dressing, olive oil and salt/pepper to taste.
Assembly or Serving ideas
- To serve, arrange potatoes and beets on 2 large plates. Sprinkle lightly with salt, and drizzle with some of the dressing. Pile fennel/parsley on top,, and serve with remaining dressing on the side.
- Fine Cooking (1) suggests serving this salad on top of leftover slices of braised brisket
- Fine Cooking recipe: finecooking.com/recipes/brisket-root-vegetable-salad.aspx