By Cat, April 27, 2017 (Photo, right, from St.Louis Dispatch article (1))
Dates are just about my favorite treat, but I don’t get to eat them often because they are so sweet. This recipes helps with that because the dates are wrapped in protein and fat in the form of Prosciutto ( thinly sliced Italian dry-cured ham). See Wikipedia (3a) for more about Prosciutto.
My favorite variety of dates is Medjool, which are sweet, soft, and large, making them easier to wrap with the prosciutto. See Berkeley Wellness (2) or Wikipedia (3b) for more about dates
Date Wraps, with Prosciutto
(Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
This very simple and stunningly delicious recipe is adapted from one by Daniel Neman, originally in the St. Louis Dispatch and reprinted in our local Daily Inter Lake. (1) Mr. Neman attributes this recipe to EatingWell.
Yield: 16 pieces
- 16 thin slices prosciutto
- 16 whole pitted dates
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each date. Grind pepper on top.
- St Louis Dispatch: Mediterranean Diet article and recipes, stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/mediterranean-diet-is-healthy—-but-is-it/article_5a98ee2f-709b-518e-8668-54251146f32a.html; Date Wraps, with Prosiutto recipe: stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/recipes/date-wraps/article_21bfa1b2-1f88-51d5-a440-f5868a27fced.html
- Berkeley Wellness on dates: Medjool, Deglet Noor, Halawy, Barhi, and More … (berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/types-dates
- Wikipedia on Prosciutto: (3a) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosciutto; on Dates (fruit) (3b): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_palm