By Cat, Nov 2010 (Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
A Leg of Lamb is not the same as a shank. The Leg cut typically includes both the sirloin (with odd-shaped bones) and the upper leg with its round bone. If bone-in, it is quite difficult to carve, which is why I recommend a boneless cut, rolled and tied.
The mixed herbs in this recipe are oregano, thyme and rosemary. Another option would be to use Herbes de Provence (herb mix common in Provencal region of France), which is similar to the mix in this recipe, but uses marjoram instead of oregano, and also typically includes lavender. See also Ancient Medicine through Food for more on herbs and spices.
Lamb Roast, Marinated with Lemon and Mixed Herbs
This recipe is adapted from Start Cooking.com (1), as a How-To recipe (instructible). The original recipe is for a boneless leg, but it could be adapted for bone-in.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano *
- 2 tsp dried thyme *
- 2 tsp dried rosemary *
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 – 4 lb boneless (rolled & tied) leg of lamb
- 2 tsp Unrefined sea salt
- ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small bowls
- liquid measuring cups
- roasting pan, with lid
* or instead of this herb combination, use 2 Tbsp Herbes de Provence
- Rub: Peel garlic; mince finely, then crush with side of flat-blade knife. Scrape into small bowl. Add herbs and mix well with fork.
- Rub mixture over surface of lamb; place roast in roasting pan.
- Marinade: Measure oil, lemon juice and wine. Pour these over lamb. Cover with lid and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight, turning a few times to coat all sides, during the marinating period.
- Remove roast from refrigerator at least 1 hour before roasting.
- Sear: Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Meanwhile, remove roast from pan and discard liquids (or compost it). Pat roast dry.
- Combine salt and pepper in small dish, then rub the salt/pepper mix all over the lamb.
- Place roast on roasting rack in roasting pan (or set on a bed of veggies such as carrots, celery, onion and potatoes).
- Place uncovered in preheated oven to sear for 20 minutes.
- Roast: Then lower oven temperature to 325° F and roast until desired doneness as measured by thermometer inserted into the center of the meat.
- Remove roast to carving board to rest before carving.
- Serve with roasted veggies, either used as rack to support the roast, or roasted separately.
- Serve with steamed brown/white rice and seared green beans or braised spinach (or other greens).
- Start Cooking.com instructible recipe (startcooking.com/blog/365/How-to-Cook-a-Leg-of-Lamb)