By Cat, March 2015 (Source of image, right, unknown)
I learned about this soup when I took the 7-day juice fast at the Wellness Education Center (WEC) in Kalispell MT (1); it is a recommended soup for the first night of breaking the fast (although you can’t add the avocado until the next day).
Now I also make it in the summer when I have a hankering for a cold soup, along with a salad of greens and chopped nuts with my balsamic & basil vinaigrette.
See also: 1. Soups & Stocks Menu;
Tomato & Avocado Soup
This was my first breaking-the-fast soup, adapted from the WEC Juice Fast course book. Wonderful! The original recipe called for fresh carrot juice, but I don’t have a juicer, so I grated the carrot fine.
Play with the herbs for different flavors. Consider adding some healthful spices, too; a few you might consider include cumin, turmeric, or coriander. If you like cilantro, garnish with a few fresh leaves (but not on the first night of breaking the fast).
If making for breaking the fast (7-day juice fast), don’t add avocado the first night, but can add it the next night.
Makes 1 serving, about 1 ½ cups to serve 1 – 2.
Ingredients & Equipment:
- 1-2 tomatoes, depending on size, chopped to fill ¾ – 1 cup
- ¼ cup carrot juice, or finely-grated carrot to fill ½ cu1p (about 2 small carrots)
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 2″ stalk celery, sliced thinly
- ⅛ red onion, chopped
- ½ large, ripe avocado
- ½ Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- filtered water, as needed to desired consistency
- 1-2 tsp Italian herbs, preferably fresh (basil, oregano, etc.), or Herbes de Provence
- Optional spices such as cumin, turmeric, or coriander
- 1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (or Unrefined sea salt, to taste)
- dash Cayenne pepper
- Vita Mix or other blender
- grater (for carrots if not using a juicer)
- Grate carrot finely if not using carrot juice.
- Slice tomatoes, mince garlic, slice celery, and chop the onion. Remove half-avocado from shell and chop coarsely.
- Place all in blender. Add lemon juice and herbs (and spices, if using). Process until pureed, adding water as needed.
- Taste the mix and then season lightly, blending again, until desired flavor is reached.
- Wellness Education Center (WEC), Kalispell MT (juicefast.info)