By Cat, April 25, 2017 (Photo, right, by Chantal Corporation; item and link no longer available)
I will be doing a 90-day protocol to heal from autoimmune thyroid, and one of the recommendations is to use enamel on steel or cast iron, instead of stainless steel, because of the potentially toxic nickel in the stainless steel. So I dug out my old Chantal cookware and looked up it’s use and care on the Chantal website. This applies to any brand of enamel on steel cookware.
See also: 1. Cleaning, Pest Control and Personal Care Menu
Read all instructions before using your Chantal Cookware. Save these instructions.
The following is from Chantal website (1); bold/red emphasis is mine
- To keep your Chantal looking new use Chantal Enamel & Ceramic Cleaner (2) or another brand of Ceramic Cooktop Cleaner [Cat’s note: such as Cerama Brite Glass/Enamel Cooktop Cleaner (3)]
- Never pre-heat Chantal dry. When left on high heat, Chantal can reach 1000� F in just two minutes and destroy enamel surface!
- Chantal Enamel-on-Steel is stick- resistant. However, if you experience sticking, it may be caused by high heat. When fat or oils smoke, the heat is too high. Food films also cause sticking, so clean the pan thoroughly. Non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of cooking oil help reduce sticking.
- Chantal’s tempered glass lids are shatter-resistant and oven safe up to 375� F. Avoid direct exposure to a hot burner or flame, and avoid extreme temperature changes.
- To protect the beauty of your Chantal Cookware, avoid strong impact, overheating, and preheating empty.
- If you have a gas stovetop, light spots may appear on the underside (only) of the cookware. This does not affect performance.
- Chantal gets hotter faster than ordinary cookware because of its steel core. Low to medium heat is all you need for most cooking applications (except boiling water).
- Never let liquids boil dry, it will damage your cookware and void the warranty.
- For the occasional dried-on or burnt food, mix 2 teaspoons Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (found in the laundry detergent section of your grocer), 2 teaspoons baking soda and water. Simmer ingredients and water in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes, let pan cool to room temperature, then rinse. Repeat if necessary. Another excellent cleaner for keeping the interior and exterior of the enamel shiny is Soft Scrub Cleanser.
- Do not use steel wool scouring pads, oven cleaners or strong abrasive cleaners on Chantal.
- In hard water areas, mineral deposits may accumulate at the water line. To remove, rub with a small amount of vinegar or baking soda.
- Because Chantal’s enamel is stick-resistant, you can use less oil.
- Ideal for all cooktops, including magnetic induction.
- Chantal enamel is durable, so use your metal utensils. But do not use knives or electric beaters.
- Chantal’s high quality enamel is the most chip resistant available, and its stainless steel rims prevent chipping, but be careful to not drop on ceramic floor or kitchen sink.
Additional care and cleaning tips for the Chantal Non-Stick surface.
- For best results, before first use, lightly rub cooking oil into non-stick surface.
- Use wooden utensils. [Cat’s note: plastic utensils can also be used, but I don’t recommend plastic because of its toxicity]. Do not cut food in the pan or use electric beaters.
- All non-stick will scratch, because it’s a soft surface. But durable Chantal Non-Stick will not peel.
- Wash all non-stick by hand in hot soapy water. Prolonged dishwasher use will diminish the non-stick properties of any non-stick. If you use the dishwasher occasionally, wipe pan with cooking oil before use.
- It’s not necessary and not recommended to soak cookware in water for an extended time; for the occasional dried-on or burnt food, scrub with a nylon scrubber and baking soda.
If you have comments, ideas or suggestions for Chantal Cookware, please write to:
Chantal Customer Service
5425 North Sam Houston Parkway West
Houston, TX 77086.
- Chantal Use and Care: chantal.com/enamel-on-steel-cookware-use-care.html
- Chantal Enamel on Steel Cleaner chantal.com/chantal-enamel-on-steel-and-ceramic-cleaner.html; NOTE: this is a better price than on Amazon as of this writing ($15 compared with $21)
- Amazon: Cerama Brite Glass/Enamel Cooktop Cleaner (ASIN: B00009WC69): amazon.com/dp/B00009WC69