By Cat, February 2008
- See also: 1. Breads & Muffins Menu; 2. Grains, Flours & Starches (About) Menu; 3. Apple Crisp with Almond & Pecan Crumble Topping
- Includes: 1. Crumb Topping for Muffins (flour version); 2. Nut Crumble Topping for Muffins (wheat and gluten-free)
This topping is optional but adds a wonderful enhancement to the texture and flavor of breakfast muffins.
Crumb Topping For Muffins
For a special treat, top your muffins with this crumb topping before baking. However, you should not do this often, as it is quite sweet.
- ½ cup Rapadura sugar (or light brown sugar or xylitol)
- ⅓ cup sprouted or whole wheat pastry flour, or sprouted or whole spelt flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
Mix all in small bowl with a fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Nut Crumble Topping For Muffins
This version is a wheat and gluten-free version using almond meal and chopped pecans, adapted from my recipe for Apple Crisp with Almond & Pecan Crumble Topping. It is also less sweet than the above topping, but you won’t miss that sweetness because of the wonderful flavor of the nuts.
- ⅛ tsp stevia extract powder (or 2 – 4 Tbsp Rapadura Sugar)
- 1 – 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecan halves
- 2 – 2½ Tbsp of butter
- Mix stevia or sugar with cinnamon in small bowl until well combined.
- Measure almond meal into mixing bowl; add the sweetener/spice mixture and mix well with fork or whisk. Chop pecan halves, then add to the mix.
- Melt butter and pour over the nut mixture, then toss with fork or fingers to make a crumble before sprinkling over the muffins in the baking pan.