by Cat, Aug 2008 (Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
This salad uses the Greek Village Salad to make a sandwich in Pita bread. The tapenade is a nice touch.
Greek Salad Pita Sandwich, with Olive-Garlic Tapenade
This recipe is adapted from Fine Cooking magazine daily recipe, August 10, 2010, originally by Ellie Krieger (1). Makes 4 sandwiches.
If you want more protein in the sandwich, add falafel, or grill some brined chicken breasts, then cut into ½” cubes. Toss with the salad, but use a bit less cucumber and tomatoes in the salad.
Another protein option is to cook some sprouted quinoa, then chill it before tossing with the salad.
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp red wine vinegar
- food processor, or mortar and pestle, or Vita Mix.
Salad & Sandwich
- 1 recipe Olive-Garlic Tapenade, above
- 4 medium (6″) whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- ½ medium English cucumber
- 2 -3 Roma tomatoes or 12 -20 cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¾ cup crumbled feta
- 4 medium radishes
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano, or 2 tsp fresh, chopped.
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves
- Place all ingredients in food processor, and process until pureed.
- If you don’t have a food processor or Vita Mix, use a mortar and pestle, but chop up the olives, and mince the garlic first. A regular blender won’t work well because there is not enough liquid in the recipe. However, you could try a hand-held (immersion blender) if making a larger quantity.
Salad & Sandwich
- Prepare tapenade.
- Warm pitas.
- Seed and dice cucumber, about ¼” dice, to make 1 ½ cups. Seed and dice Roma tomatoes, or quarter cherry/grape tomatoes to make 1 ¼ cups. Mince or finely dice the radishes to make ½ cup.
- Combine veggies in bowl with feta. Add olive oil, vinegar, oregano and a few grinds of pepper; toss to combine.
- Warm pitas, then slice in half, and open the pockets. Divide the tapenade among the pita pockets, spreading it evenly inside each.
- Stuff each pocket with about ½ cup of the spinach and ½ cup of the salad mixture.
- Fine Cooking magazine daily recipe, August 10, 2010, originally by Ellie Krieger: finecooking.com/recipes/greek-salad-pitas-olive-garlic-tapenade.aspx