By Cat, June 2014 (Photo, right, from Wikipedia; link is lost)
I’ve extracted this recipe from the delicious Burnished Chicken Legs with Yams & Parsnips; an excellent recipe – one of my favorites – and I especially like the way the veggies are prepared with the dijon and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
You can make this dish alongside roasting meat or fish. I first got this idea when writing the recipe for Baked Salmon with Dijon; however, the salmon dish bakes in a shorter time, so you need to start the veggies abut 30 minutes before placing the salmon in the oven.
Serves 2 or more as a side dish.
Ingredients for Burnished Yams & Parsnips
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp dijon mustard
- scant tsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch Unrefined Sea Salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small yam (6 oz)
- 2 parsnips (3 oz total)
- 2 small or 1 large shallot
- Preheat oven to 425°F (400°F if using Pyrex pan). Oil a small rimmed baking sheet or low-sided casserole dish.
- Combine dressing ingredients in small jar.
- Peel yam and parsnips then cut into ½ inch pieces; separate the lobes of shallot, peel and halve through the root end. Toss together in bowl with the dressing.
- Transfer veggies to prepared baking sheet/casserole dish.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then give the veggies a stir and roast for another 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.