Jun 27, 2022
I just read an interesting article from Dr. Mercola about the problem of food shortages that began with COVID-19, and how to prepare. Because he deletes his articles after 48 hours, I’ve saved a copy: HEALTH-NUTRITION /PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA > FoodShortages-HowBadWillGet_Mercola_062722.pdf. I copied his “Story at a Glance”, and his section on “How to Prepare for Food Shortages” below.
On July 17, 2022, Dr. Mercola published a related article: How to Prepare for Coming Crises (copy saved: HEALTH-NUTRITION /PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA > ComingCrises-HowToPrepare_071722.pdf)
I’ve also saved a copy of another July ’22 Mercola article on “Impending Crisis, late 2022-2024, and How to Deal with It”, for which I’ve saved a copy: HEALTH-NUTRITION /PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA > Doom-ImpendingPolycrises_strategy-to-deal.pdf, and published an article on The Essentialist that includes his “Story at a Glance,” and my notes from his article. I’ve made a copy of that posting on Cat’s Kitchen: Impending Crisis, Late 2022 – 2024, and How To Deal With It.
If you want a copy of any of these pdfs, contact me; see the “About” page for my contact info.
I may add my own comments, as I learn more. And I note specific text of interest to me in blue-bold.
Perhaps the most important thing is to start a garden; I like to grow green-beans, peas, carrots, radishes, beets, garlic, and several herbs. I used to grow potatoes, but they didn’t do well.
- Includes: 1. Mercola’s Story at a Glance; 2. Mercola’s How to Prepare for Food Shortages
- See also: Diet and Health Menu
How to Prepare for Several Coming Crises in 2022- 2024
Mercola’s Story-at-a-Glance, on Food Shortages
(From saved article: FoodShortages-HowBadWillGet_Mercola_062722.pdf)
- “It’s becoming increasingly clear that severe food shortages are going to be inevitable, more or less worldwide, and whatever food is available will continue to go up in price
- The cost of agricultural inputs such as diesel and fertilizers is skyrocketing due to shortages — caused by a combination of intentional and coincidental events — and those costs will be reflected in consumer food prices come fall and next year
- Mysterious fires, alleged bird flu outbreaks and other inexplicable events are killing off livestock and destroying crucial infrastructure. Since the end of April 2021, at least 96 farms, food processing plants and food distribution centers across the U.S. have been damaged or destroyed
- The global food price index had risen 58.5% above the 2014-2016 average as of April 2022, due to a convergence of post-pandemic global demand, extreme weather, tightening food stocks, high energy prices, supply chain bottlenecks, export restrictions, taxes and the Russia-Ukraine conflict
Combined, all of these factors set us up for guaranteed food shortages, food inflation and, potentially, famine in some places, so now is the time to prepare”
Mercola’s: How to Prepare for Food Shortages (1a)
“While the prognosis is grim, panic is not the appropriate response. Taking clear-headed action to get prepared would be far better. Once you’ve shored up some basic supplies and backups, you’ll feel more at ease, knowing you’re prepared to handle whatever crises crop up next.
As for how to prepare and what to stock up on, that’s going to depend on your individual situation, location and financial means. A person living in the country surrounded by farmers and clean, freshwater brooks is facing a very different situation from someone living in a concrete jungle.
So, assess your surroundings and personal situation. Then, go through and determine how you can solve some of your most pressing needs, such as:
- Securing a potable water source and the means to purify less-than-ideal water sources —Examples include stocking up on water purification tablets or drops, and/or independent water filtration systems such as Berkey that can filter out pathogens and other impurities (meaning a filtration system that is not tied to the tap in your home, in case pumps go down and you have no tap water).
Even a small survival water filtration system is better than nothing, as drinking contaminated water can result in serious illness and/or death. [Cat’s note: I have a Reverse-Osmosis Filtration System, but it is connected to my regular water pipe.] Having a rain barrel connected to your gutter downspout is a good idea. You can use it to water your garden, and in a worst-case scenario, you have a source of fresh water to drink, cook and take sponge baths in.
- Buy shelf-stable and nonperishable foods in bulk —Freeze dried foods, for example, have a shelf life of 25 years or more. Canned foods and dry staples such as rice and beans can also stay viable long past their expiration date under the right conditions.
Other good options include canned salmon, canned cod livers, sardines in water (avoid ones preserved in vegetable oil), nuts, powdered milk and whey and other nutritional powders you can mix with water.
Ideally, you’ll want to store food in a cool, dark place with low humidity. Bulk packs of rice and beans are best stored in a sealed food-grade bucket with some oxygen absorbers. Vacuum sealing food can also extend shelf life.
- Energy backups — To prepare for eventual energy shortages, brownouts, rolling blackouts or a complete shutdown of the power grid, consider one or more power backups, such as gas-powered generators and/or solar generator kits such as Jackery or Inergy. Having backup power can prevent the loss of hundreds of dollars worth of food if your home loses electricity for more than a couple of days.
Scale up and diversify according to what you can afford. Ideally, you’d want more than one system. If all you have is a gas-powered generator, what will you do if there’s a gas shortage and/or if the price skyrockets into double digits? On the other hand, what will you do if the weather is too overcast to recharge your solar battery?
- Cooking backups — You also need some way to cook water and food during a blackout. Here, options include (but are not limited to) solar cookers, which require neither electricity nor fire, small rocket stoves, propane-powered camping stoves and 12-volt pots and pans that you can plug into a backup battery.
I would use my wood stove indoors, as long as I have a stock of wood. I may look into a rocket stove for use outside (for example, Amazon code B08QW3N4FZ). Also, check out a YouTube video on how to make your own small rocket stove (3)
- Start a garden and learn some basic skills — The more food you can produce at home, the better off you’ll be. At bare minimum, stock up on sprouting seeds and grow some sprouts. They’re little powerhouses when it comes to nutrition, they’re easy to grow and are ready to eat in days rather than months.
If you have the space, consider starting a garden, and if local regulations allow, you can add chickens for a steady supply of eggs. (Just remember that they too may need additional feed.)
Also, start learning some basic food storage skills such as canning and pickling. While it can feel intimidating at first, it’s really not that difficult. For example, raw, unwashed, homegrown eggs can be preserved in lime water — 1 ounce of lime (calcium hydroxide, aka “pickling lime”) to 1 quart of water — thereby extending their shelf life to about two years without refrigeration.21 (5)
The lime water basically seals the eggs to prevent them from spoiling. Before using the eggs, be sure to wash the lime off. This does not work with commercial eggs, however, as the protective coating, called “bloom,” is stripped off during washing.
Fermented vegetables are also easy to make and will allow you to store the proceeds from your garden for long periods of time. For inspiration, check out my fermented veggie recipe. In the video below, I explain the benefits of using starter culture and kinetic culture jar lids. They’re not a necessity, but will cut the odor released as the veggies ferment.”
See also two articles on The EssentiaList (of which I am the author/editor of many articles on gardening, etc.) (2a,2b)
How to Prepare for Coming Crises (Food, Energy and Economic Crises)
Mercola’s Story-at-a-Glance, on Coming Crises
(From saved 7/17/22 article: How to Prepare for Coming Crises (copy saved: HEALTH-NUTRITION /PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA > ComingCrises-HowToPrepare_071722.pdf)]
- “Food, energy and economic crises are being fabricated according to a predetermined plan, just as the COVID pandemic plan was foretold during Event 201. In a recent Children’s Health Defense “Good Morning CHD” interview, I discuss how to prepare for these imminent crises
- The Rockefeller Foundation has been a prominent player in putting out the ‘deep state’ cabal’s plans. The Foundation was a sponsor of Event 201, during which participants practiced everything that later came to pass, and they’ve also published at least three reports that describe various parts of The Great Reset
- In 2010, the Rockefeller Foundation published a report titled ‘Scenarios for the Future of Technology and International Development,’ in which they laid out a ‘Lockstep’ scenario — a coordinated global response to a lethal pandemic. The scenario described in this document matches many of the details of our recent past
- In April 2020, the Rockefeller Foundation released a ‘National COVID-19 Testing Action Plan,’ which laid out a strategic framework of a permanent surveillance and social control structure that severely limits personal liberty and freedom of choice
- The Rockefeller Foundation’s July 2020 report, ‘Reset the Table: Meeting the Moment to Transform the U.S. Food System,’ declares food shortages and famine a reality and describes how they intend to seize control of the food supply and supply chain under the guise of ‘equity,’ ‘fairness’ and ‘environmental protection’“
He discusses several topics in his 7/17/22 posting; see the saved pdf for more detail. [NOTE: See his article for his elevated references]
- Operation Lockstep: “In 2010, the Rockefeller Foundation published a report1 titled “Scenarios for the Future of Technology and International Development,” in which they laid out a “Lockstep” scenario — a coordinated global response to a lethal pandemic. While the name and origin of the virus differs, the scenario laid out in this document matches many of the details of our recent past.“
- COVID-19 Action Plan: “Then, in April 2020, the Rockefeller Foundation released the white paper,2 National COVID-19 Testing Action Plan,” which laid out a strategic framework clearly intended to become part of a permanent surveillance and social control structure that severely limits personal liberty and freedom of choice.“
- The Cabal Is ‘Resetting the Table’: “Next, we have the July 28, 2020, report, “Reset the Table: Meeting the Moment to Transform the U.S. Food System,”5 which describes how the COVID pandemic has caused “a hunger and nutrition crisis” in the U.S., which they insist must be addressed by a complete overhaul of the food system.”
- The Plan is Out in the Open: “Together, Event 201, these three Rockefeller Foundation reports and many others, spell out the plan of the global cabal. All we need to do is take it seriously. They certainly do.“
- Key Preparations: Think About Water First: “One of the most important preparations you can make is to secure a supply of potable water, as you can survive far longer without food than you can without water. An ideal system to consider, if you have a garden, is to install a large cistern to collect rainwater.”
- Food Prep Suggestions: “When it comes to food, a vast majority of Americans have a secret advantage in that they have months’ worth of excess fat stores that will allow them to fast for extended periods of time. That said, you certainly will need food sooner or later, so stocking up while you still can is strongly recommended.
- To Grow or Not to Grow Your Own Veggies?
- “When it comes to fruits, berries and vegetables, many are not going to be able to successfully grow what they need in their own garden. That’s just the truth. It does take some know-how. You can’t just throw some seeds into the dirt and expect food. You have to plant at the right time of year, you have to water and consistently weed and so on.”
For Mercola’s references, see my pdf, saved: HEALTH-NUTRITION /PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA > FoodShortages-HowBadWillGet_Mercola_062722.pdf (contact me for a copy; see the “About” page for my contact info.).
- Mercola (note, he shuts down his articles after 48 hours):
- How Bad with the Food Shortage Get; includes section on How to Prepare for Food Shortages (articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2022/06/27/food-shortage-2022.aspx)
- Recipes (so far, he’s not shut down articles in his “recipes” section):
- The EssentiaList, search for articles on:
- Rocket Stove video on YouTube: youtube.com/watch?v=jz9RFK259VY
- Twitter Pissed off Panda June 12, 2022 (Mercola’s reference #21, about how to preserve fresh eggs for years)