By Cat, July 2007 (Photo, right, from Amazon)
This recipe has been moved to its own page (original included with Asian Ginger Vinaigrette Dressings), where it is an ingredient in my recipe for Hoisin Dressing.
It provides a sweet, hot flavor to stir fries, barbecue pork, and is an essential ingredient for Peking Duck.
See also: 1. Sauces Menu; 2. Chinese Five Spice
This recipe is adapted from Chinese Food.com (1) and CD Kitchen.com (2); makes ½ cup.
- 4 Tbsp Tamari sauce
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter, cashew butter, or fermented black bean paste
- 1 Tbsp molasses or honey
- 2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- ½ – 1 tsp Chinese hot sauce (to taste); alternately, finely mince hot red chiles, about ⅛ tsp or to taste
- ¼ tsp Chinese Five Spice (Optional)
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients in jar or small bowl; whisk until combined.
- Chinese Food.com Hoisin sauce recipe: chinese.food.com/recipe/homemade-hoisin-sauce-312992#ixzz1vS1YopZd
- CD Kitchen Hoisin sause recipe: cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/420/Hoisin_Sauce12082.shtml