August 15, 2022
Mercola published an interesting article: “2022 Summerfest Presentation” (I saved as a pdf, since he closes down his articles after 48 hours: HEALTH-NUTRITION / PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA ARTICLES > SummerfestPresentation2022_Mcl-081422.pdf).
His 8/14/22 email gave a brief description of his presentation: “[It provides] strategies to help you maintain your health during distressing and difficult times, which I believe lie ahead. Know three of the biggest mistakes you may be making and three must-have items in your health emergency kit.”
I already follow the first 3 items in his list (see his Story at-a-glance, below; if you want to know more, contact me for copy of the Summerfest Presentation 2022 pdf). But I found the last item on 3 key remedies of great interest, so I provide his text about that, below.
- Includes: 1. Story at-a-glance; 2. 3 Key Remedies for Emergency Kit; 3. Mercola’s articles, references
- See also: 1. Diet & Health Menu; 2. Supplements I use; 3. Food Shortages and Other Crises: How to Prepare; 4. Impending Crisis, Late 2022-2024, and How to Deal with It
- “Three factors that severely damage your mitochondrial function are excess iron levels, lack of sun exposure, resulting in low mitochondrial melatonin and excess omega-6 linoleic acid (LA) in your diet
- Most men and postmenopausal women have high iron levels. The average person accumulates about 1 milligram of iron a day, and the only way to get rid of it is through blood loss. If your iron is elevated, you can remedy the situation by donating blood on a regular basis
- One of the most important benefits of sun exposure, besides vitamin D, is melatonin production. The near-infrared wavelengths in sunlight catalyze the production of melatonin — a powerful endogenous antioxidant — in your mitochondria. This is important, as that’s where the melatonin is needed the most. So, ideally, get one hour of sun exposure every day around solar noon while wearing as little clothing as possible and no sunscreen
- Excess omega-6 fat, linoleic acid (LA) creates oxidative stress that basically acts as a metabolic poison. Eliminating it from your diet can go a long way toward improving your mitochondrial function. Guidance on high-LA foods to avoid are included
- “Three key remedies to keep on-hand in your emergency kit are [see below for more detail]:
- high-dose melatonin,
- methylene blue, and
- nebulized hydrogen peroxide (a jet nebulizer and 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide)”
3 Key Remedies to Keep in your Emergency Kit
The following is quoted from his larger article on his 2022 Summerfest Presentation (1). I’ve also saved this as a separate pdf: HEALTH-NUTRITION / PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA ARTICLES > SummerfestPresentation2022_Mcl-081422.pdf
Mercola: Three Key Remedies to Keep in Your Emergency Kit
“I recently published an interview with Dr. Russel Reiter (2a), who has published an astonishing 1,600 scientific papers on melatonin. That discussion made me realize just how valuable melatonin can be during an acute heart attack or stroke.
As explained by Reiter in that interview, during cardiac arrest or stroke, the blood supply is temporarily interrupted to your heart or brain. This deprives the tissues of oxygen, and without oxygen, they rapidly deteriorate. When the blood vessel reopens, which is called reperfusion, and oxygen flows back into those oxygen-deprived cells, severe damage can occur, as loads of free radicals are generated once the blood starts flowing again.
High-dose melatonin, if taken soon enough after a heart attack or stroke, can help preserve these tissues and reduce their tissue damage. While the ideal dosage is uncertain, Reiter says he would not hesitate to take anywhere from 50 milligrams to 100 mg of melatonin, ideally intravenously if paramedics are on the scene, or sublingually if no professional medical help is around.
Melatonin has no toxicity, so it’s safe to take even at high doses. It may interfere with your sleep cycle, but that’s a small price to pay to salvage your heart or brain in an acute health emergency.”
2. Methylene blue:
Cat’s note: to learn more about methylene blue, see reference 2b, and references under (3).
“Another emergency kit essential is methylene blue. It’s a primary antidote for metabolic poisons (any poison that interferes with oxygen transport or displaces oxygen, either from the blood or from the mitochondria), such as carbon monoxide or cyanide poisoning. By improving mitochondrial respiration and brain energy metabolism, it can also help protect your heart and brain during an acute heart attack or stroke.
To learn more about this useful remedy, see my interview with Francisco Gonzalez-Lima, Ph.D., who is one of the foremost experts on methylene blue, featured in “The Surprising Health Benefits of Methylene Blue” (2b).
3. Nebulized Peroxide:
“The third remedy to keep on hand at all times is a jet nebulizer and food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide. Nebulized peroxide is a simple, inexpensive and incredibly effective way to kill viruses, improve oxygenation and optimize your redox pathways. For more details, see “Nebulized Peroxide — Immune Support for Respiratory Viruses” (2c).
- To Mercola’s 2022 Summerfest Presentation: articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2022/08/14/dr-mercolas-2022-summerfest-presentation.aspx . I’ve saved the entire article: HEALTH-NUTRITION / PODCASTS-ARTICLES / MERCOLA > SummerfestPresentation2022_Mcl-081422.pdf
- To Mercola’s articles referenced in the above text, copied from his summerfest presentation:
- Methylene blue – articles about:
- Wikipedia: Methylene blue
- Drugs.com: .drugs.com/cdi/methylene-blue.html
- PubChem: pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Methylene-blue
- Holistic Nootropics: holisticnootropics.com/methylene-blue/