By Catherine Haug, August 2022
In my article Minerals: Magnesium (About) I discuss why magnesium is so important, foods that are high in magnesium, and supplemental forms of magnesium. In this article, I discuss a new form I just learned about: Nano Magnesium Chloride.
It is available in capsule or liquid form, and is called “Upgraded Magnesium” (from Upgraded Formulas). Read on for more about this supplement, as I experiment with it.
- Includes: 1. Magnesium Chloride, Nano-Particle: capsule and liquid forms; 2.
- See also: 1. Diet & Health Menu; 2. Minerals: Magnesium (About); 3. Magnesium Chloride, 80% Solution; 4.Supplements I Use;
- From other sites: 1. MgCl2-WalterLast.pdf [Cat’s copy of Walters’s original article (9), in pdf form; his original site is no longer available.] 2. Walter Last’s later version, published in NEXUS magazine in 2008: health-science-spirit.com/Library/MagChlor.pdf. I note that Walter died in 2021…
Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) Nano-particle Supplement
This commercial supplement product is called “Upgraded Magnesium,” from Upgraded Formulas (1). Its nano-particle form is especially tiny particles, which potentially gives it more energy, and also allows it to cross the blood-brain barrier. It comes in 2 forms:
- capsule (1a), which provides 117 mg magnesium/capsule; or
- liquid (1b), which provides 100 mg/dropper-full.
- [I note that my 80% Mag chloride liquid provides about 95 mg magnesium per dropperful – very similar to this new product.]
The liquid form also includes 3 “other ingredients:”
- Purified water,
- Sorbic acid (a preservative also known as 2,4-hexadienoic acid) (3), and
- Fulvic acid (a component of humus, that “is created by gradual decomposition of certain plants and animals by the action of microorganisms”). (2)
I would consider trying their liquid form (to replace the 80% magnesium chloride solution I’m currently taking); but I need to do more research on the “nano-particle” idea. Also, it is a lot more expensive than my 80% solution. As of 8/10/22, the nano-version costs:
- $39 for 1-time purchase on their website (1b), 60 droppers-full (30 days at full dose, or 60 days at half-dose) on the company’s website; or
- $33 for subscription (1 bottle every 30 days) on their website (1b); or
- $42 on Amazon (ASIN B08KRYX8TR – that’s a zero after the first B) as of 8/11/22.
Compare this with cost of my MgCl2 80% solution from my local compounding pharmacy, at dosage of 1-dropper-ful 3-times daily:
- $45 for 2.5 months or 75 days (as of last purchase 6/1/22), or $18 for 30 days. Thus my 80% solution costs much less than the nano solution.
Dosage (for nano MgCl2)
Recommended dosage of the nano liquid form is 2 droppers-full in a single dose per day (200 mg magnesium/day); best taken on an empty stomach (before a meal or bedtime if at least 3 hours after the last meal). I note that a full 1 ml dropper provides 20 drops (6).
IF I decide to try this:
My preference would be to separate this total into two separate 1-dropperfull doses (more similar to how I currently take the 80% solution). But I want to start with half-dosage to be sure I don’t develop a food sensitivity to it (I currently have a food sensitivity – at cellular level – to the 80% solution form); then slowly increase to full dose, as follows:
- Start with 1 dropper-ful (100 mg magnesium), once daily before breakfast (in 8-10 oz filtered water) for 2 – 4 weeks; OR do half dropper-full (10 drops) twice daily (before breakfast, and before bedtime).
- Then slowly increase to full-dose as 1 dropper-full, 2-times daily (before breakfast and before bedtime), to ensure I don’t develop a food sensitivity to it.
As I experiment with this product, I will add my notes and discoveries here.
- 8/12/22: sent email to Upgraded Formulas, for more info about the molecular structure of the MgCl2 nano particles in their liquid version (dropper-bottle); that is, does their form also have the 6 water molecules attached to each mag-chloride molecule?. As of 8/18/22, I’ve not yet gotten a reply.
- See also ScienceDirect article (7) and Springer Link article (8).
- Upgraded Formulas (for nano mag chloride supplement):
- Capsule form: upgradedformulas.com/products/magnesium
- Liquid (Dropper) form: upgradedformulas.com/collections/products/products/liquid-nano-magnesium
- Dr Axe:
- Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbic_acid
- Nuvectra Medical: nuvectramedical.com/upgraded-nano-magnesium-reviews/
- Healthline, on different types of magnesium: healthline.com/nutrition/magnesium-types
- Unit Converters: no. of drops/ml: unitconverters.net/volume/milliliter-to-drop.htm
- Science Direct: sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S092777571730657X
- Springer Link: link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10904-015-0321-3
- Walter Last: health-science-spirit.com/magnesiumchloride.html