by Cat, August, 2007 (updated September, 2007, June 2008, May 2010)
(Photo, right, from Wikimedia Commons)
Includes: Sprouted Grain Pie Crust (Wheat or Spelt), 2 versions
See also: 1. Yogurt Pie Crust (Wheat or Spelt); 2. Standard American Pie Crust; 3. Pastry Brisée (Short or Crumb Crust); 4. Pastry Sucree & Pasta Frolla (Rich Short Crust) 5. Rich Crumb Crust (French Pastry Brisée & Italian Pasta Frolla)
Sprouted spelt flour is slightly drier than whole spelt flour and so may require just a tad more water than for whole spelt flour. I’ve found two different recipes for using sprouted spelt flour, but wheat can also be used by adjusting the amount of water.
Upon first glance, it appears as though I have reversed the titles on these recipes. But the first recipe (Summer’s) for two-crust pie is rolled very thin. And the one-crust recipe is for a deep dish or larger diameter pie.
Sprouted Grain Pie Crust I
This first version is adapted from Summers Sprouted Flour (1) website, and makes crust for a 9″ two-crust pie. Her recipe does not include salt, but I prefer to include it. This crust is rolled thin. Rolled less thin, it could be used for a 9 or 10″ one-crust pie.
You can also substitute white spelt/wheat flour for part of the sprouted spelt/wheat flour for a lighter crust.
I’m still testing the sprouted wheat version; the first time I made it, it didn’t turn out.
NOTE: I’ve not yet completed testing of this Version–I can no longer find the sprouted flour.
Ingredients for 9″ One-Crust Pie:
- ¾ cup sprouted grain flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 Tbsp lard or butter
- ½ tsp Unrefined sea salt
- 2 – 3 Tbsp ice cold water (spelt); 3 – 4 Tbsp ice cold water (wheat)
- Whisk flour & salt with a wire whisk to coat with air bubbles.
- Cut in butter/lard to rice-size balls.
- Quickly mix in lesser amount of ice water; if too dry, add more water, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Form into ball(s), & rest in cold place for a few minutes before rolling.
Sprouted Grain Pie Crust II
This version is adapted from Quick Weightloss Solutions (2). It makes crust for 9 or 10″ pie. Note the proportions are not the same as Summers’ recipe; I’ve not yet tested this one, so cannot say which is better.
Ingredients & Equipment for Single-Crust 9″ Deep Dish or 10″Quiche
- 2 cups sprouted spelt flour
- ½ tsp Unrefined sea salt (optional)
- ¾ cup cold butter, cut into 12 Tbsp pieces
- 4 Tbsp ice cold water
- medium bowl
- pastry cutter or pastry fork
- rolling pin
- parchment or waxed paper
- 9″ deep dish pie pan, or 10″ quiche pan
- Place flour and salt in bowl and whip with an egg whisk for a minute or two to introduce air bubbles.
- Cut in butter to size of coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in water; work quickly into a dough ball. Do not over-mix or crust will be tough.
- On lightly floured parchment or waxed paper, press dough into small circle with your hands (makes initial rolling pin movements easier), then roll out into circle a good 2-inches larger than the diameter of the pie pan.
- Summers Sprouted Flour recipe (creatingheaven.net/eeproducts/eesfc/recipes/pie_crust.html)
- Quick Weightloss Solutions recipe: (quick-weightloss-solutions.com/better-pie-crust-recipe.html)