By Cat, Oct 2012 (photo, right, from More-To-Door (2))
Perhaps my favorite white fish is cod, more specifically as lutefisk (traditional Scandinavian cured cod). But this basic recipe is also a favorite; it works well with cod or halibut.
I like to flavor it with dill weed, but you can use other flavorful herbs/spices such as oregano, marjoram, basil, turmeric, allspice, etc..
See also: 1. Fish & Seafood Menu
Basic Baked Cod or Halibut
I include milk as an optional ingredient in this recipe, because it absorbs the ‘fishy’ flavor so that the wonderful flavor of the sea stands out.. You don’t need much, just enough to barely cover the bottom of the pan
When using a baking dish that doesn’t have a lid, I suggest covering the dish with parchment or waxed paper, then covering that with foil to hold it in place. I don’t like to put foil in direct contact with any food because the toxic aluminum in the foil is easily taken up by the food.
Ingredients and Equipment
- 4 – 6 oz cod or halibut filet per person
- Unrefined sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Dill weed (or other herbs/spices), to taste
- Milk (optional)
- Sliced olives, whole capers, or cherry/grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- fresh parsley or dill for garnish
- Baking dish
- Lid for baking dish, or use parchment or waxed paper covered with aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter baking dish.
- Arrange filets in baking dish and season with salt, pepper and dill weed, to taste.
- Optional: pour a bit of milk around the fish, less than 1/4″ deep.
- Optional: scatter some sliced olives, whole capers or small tomatoes (halved) over fish for a Mediterranean flavor.
- Cover with lid (or parchment/waxed paper covered with foil) and bake in oven until tender, about 20 minutes (may take longer if more than one filet, or for thick filets).
- Remove from oven. Place filet(s) on plate or serving platter and garnish with fresh sprigs of parsley or dill. Discard the milk to the compost pile.
- Serve with steamed potato and green peas (or creamed green peas) and cole slaw;
- Serve with steamed rice (brown, white, wild, a mix, or Wild & Brown Rice Pilaf), braised asparagus and cole slaw.
- Also serve with steamed or roasted beet, or pickled (lacto-fermented) beets.
- More-To-Door moretodoor.co. uk/shop/halibut-steaks (link removed and disguised because site contains malware)